First, Culinary Producer Grant Melton helped busy mom Megan whip up a quick and easy chicken pot pie with poached chicken.
Now, Grant shows Megan how any leftover chicken can be turned into this zesty BBQ chicken pizza. This topping comes together in minutes thanks to an easy sauce and the pre-cooked chicken.
- Olive oil
- 1 shallot or small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups cooked shredded leftover chicken or from a rotisserie chicken
- 6 pitas
- 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Cilantro, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Heat olive oil in a small saucepan. Add shallot and cook until translucent. Season with salt, black pepper and smoked paprika. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar, and bring to a bubble. Lower the heat and cook until the mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken and remove from heat.
Arrange the pitas on 2 baking sheets. Divide the BBQ chicken among the pitas. Divide the jack cheese among the pitas and sprinkle on top. Add a sprinkle of red onion and corn to each pizza, then top with the mozzarella cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Garnish with cilantro and serve.