Rach adds sausage and spicy-sweet Calabrian chili paste to creamy tomato soup for a more grown-up version of the beloved classic.
Serve the soup with Rach's Roasted Garlic White Flatbread Pizza, which makes for the perfect dunking partner.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage with fennel, cut from casing
- 1 round tablespoon Calabrian chili paste or 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced, chopped or grated
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 jar passata or 28-ounce can Italian crushed tomatoes or tomato puree
- 3 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 chunk rind of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, optional
- One 14-ounce can cannellini beans, lightly drained
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- A handful of basil leaves, torn
Heat a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium to medium-high heat and brown and crumble the sausage into very small bits. Stir in the chili paste. Add garlic and stir, add wine and let it absorb. Add tomatoes, broth, rind, beans, salt and pepper, bring to bubble and simmer to thicken a bit and let flavors combine. Reduce heat to low and add the cream, stir in basil.