- ¼ cup finely chopped or grated red onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic , finely grated or pasted
- One small handful cilantro leaves , chopped (optional)
- A few dashes hot sauce, optional
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 ripe Haas avocado, halved and pitted
- One-half 6-ounce can line/pole-caught sustainable tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 large English muffin, split and lightly toasted
- 2 slices ripe tomato
- 4 slices cheese (Rach likes Colby cheddar and Pepper Jack, combined)
- Pickled jalapeño slices, for topping
Preheat broiler with rack in center.
In a bowl, combine red onion, jalapeño pepper, garlic, and, if using, cilantro and hot sauce. Add lime juice and salt, let stand a few minutes, then combine with avocado and mash it up with a fork. Fold in tuna and pile evenly onto the halved and toasted English muffins. Top the tuna salad with sliced tomatoes and cover the tomatoes with the cheese, then broil to melt cheese. Top with pickled jalapeños.