Rach's carne asada is delicious on its own for a simple steak dinner — and it's perfect for Carne Asada Tacos or nachos. (Watch Rach make the tacos in the video above.)
- 2 pounds flank, flat-iron or skirt steak
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- ½ cup lager beer
- 3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, or ½ palmful
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander, or ½ palmful
- 2 tablespoon puréed chipotle in adobo, or 1 teaspoon Chipotle Tabasco sauce
Season meat with salt and pepper, and combine marinade: lime juice and zest, beer, oil, garlic, cumin, coriander and puréed chipotle or Tabasco. Coat beef in marinade and let stand 1 hour or several hours refrigerated.
Preheat grill or grill pan to medium high heat. Grill flank steak 12-15 minutes, turning once; flat-iron steak 10-12 minutes, turning once; shirt steak pieces 7-8 minutes, turning once. Rest steak then thinly slice against the grain.