Rachael's cheesy grits are made with butter + honey, then topped with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and green onions. She likes to serve them alongside her Fried Chicken Thighs.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup medium to coarsely ground yellow corn grits or cornmeal
- A little freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- About 2 teaspoons honey, plus more for passing at the table
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 bunch scallions, whites and greens, finely chopped
In a medium saucepan, heat stock over medium heat. In a bowl, season grits with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Stir in 1 cup water, then add the grits to the pan with the hot stock. Cook, stirring often, until the grits are tender, about 12-15 minutes. Mix in the butter and honey, then add the cheese and scallions.
Divide the grits among 4 shallow bowls. Pass honey at the table.