Crunchy toppings, aromatic veggies, and bold chilies and ginger make Rach's chicken and egg ramen the ultimate antidote for cold, wintry weather.
Because he loves to cook, Lou Diamond Phillips — "Prodigal Son" star and upcoming author of The Tinderbox: Soldier of Indira — was Rach's sous chef for this ramen dish.
- 4 large eggs
- 1 rotisserie chicken, or one 10.5-ounce bag meatless grilled chicken
- 2 tablespoons high-temp cooking oil, such as canola or peanut
- 1 ½ inches ginger root, grated, minced or fine matchsticks
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and sliced or chopped
- 1 red or green chili pepper, thinly sliced and seeded (or 4-5 bird’s eye chiles, very thinly sliced)
- 1 large or 2 medium bunches scallions, 10-12, sliced on bias and whites and greens separated
- 2 ½ - 3 cups sliced mushrooms (about 12 ounces), such as a blend of enoki, pulled hen of the woods or maitake, and stemmed sliced shiitake
- 2 quarts chicken bone broth, vegetable stock or vegan "chicken stock"
- 2 tablespoons Mirin or rice wine vinegar
- Shoyu, soy sauce or gluten-free soy sauce
- 1 cup lightly packed sliced or shredded seaweed sheets, or 1 cup fresh shiso leaves, stacked and sliced into chiffonade
- 10-12 ounces ramen noodles or 1 pound fresh spaghetti, cooked 3 minutes in rolling, boiling water (salt the water if using fresh spaghetti)
- Pickled ginger, matchsticks of radishes or watermelon radishes
- Hot sauce of choice, such as ginger and garlic or Sriracha, etc.
In a small pot, bring water to a boil. Add eggs and cook 6 minutes. Cold shock in ice water, cracking shells to loosen, peel eggs and reserve.
Remove skin and bones from chicken and pull or chop 2-3 cups of meat into small bite-sized pieces or chop or pull the meat substitute.
Heat a soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add ginger, garlic, chiles, scallion whites, and mushrooms and cook to brown mushrooms, 5 minutes. Add stock, mirin and shoyu, bring to low boil, add chicken and seaweed or shiso. Divide noodles into 4 bowls and ladle soup on top. Serve with pickled ginger, radishes, and scallion greens. Halve eggs and set on top, pass hot sauce.