For Rachael’s 50th birthday bash episode, Rach stepped out from behind the stove to let her buddies — like Chef Curtis Stone — do the cooking!
- 1 pound 2 ounces dry-aged beef fat, coarsely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh sage
- 5 pounds potatoes, Russet or Kennebec
- Peanut or canola oil, for frying
- Rendered beef fat
- Flakey sea salt
- Chili flakes
- Grated parmesan
- Chopped Italian parsley
1. For the rendered beef fat: Heat fat over low heat until just beginning to melt. Add garlic, rosemary and sage. Melt until fat and solids have separated; solids will rise to surface. Strain through cheesecloth-lined chinois or strainer. Do not force fat through cheesecloth. Discard solids. Keep fat melted in a warm place.
2. For the fries: Peel and cut potatoes into ½-inch wide strips. In a large bowl, run cold water over potatoes until starch is rinsed away and water runs clear. Spread potatoes onto a large baking sheet lined with kitchen towels. Pat and air dry for 30 minutes.
3. Bring oil to 275°F. Blanch potatoes for 12 minutes; do not overcrowd the fryer. Remove fries from the oil and let cool. Increase oil to 375°F. Fry potatoes 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove fries and drain on paper towels, then drizzle about 1 tablespoon rendered beef fat over hot fries.
4. Toss fries with sea salt, chili flakes, parmesan and parsley. Serve immediately.