For Rachael’s 50th birthday bash episode, Rach stepped out from behind the stove to let her buddies — like Chef Curtis Stone — do the cooking.
Make-Ahead: Pickled onions, cauliflower and mustard seeds can be made up to 5 days ahead, covered and refrigerated.
- 1 cup Champagne vinegar , or white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 5 ounces red or white pearl onions, peeled (about 1 cup)
- 5 ounches small purple cauliflower florets (about 1 cup)
- 8-12 ounces assorted charcuterie, such as bresaola, coppa, country pâté, duck speck, and salami
- 1 baguette, thinly sliced
1. In a heavy saucepan, bring vinegar, water, sugar, salt, tarragon, and thyme to a boil over high heat. Add mustard seeds, lower heat to medium, and simmer until the mustard seeds are plump, about 25 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath. In a large pot of salted boiling water, add pearl onions and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer onions to the ice bath to cool, then drain well and cut in half before separating each layer into petals.
3. Stir onions and cauliflower into warm mustard seed mixture. Refrigerate until cold.
4. Arrange charcuterie on a platter and serve with baguette slices and pickled onions, cauliflower and mustard seeds.