This Enchilada Casserole is loaded with chili & beans and topped with sour cream & nacho cheese chips.
During our Season 1 premiere in 2006, our first celeb guest Diane Sawyer brought Rachael this Enchilada Casserole from her ABC co-anchor Charlie Gibson — and Rach served her Pumpkin & Sage Pasta in return.
- 1 large 13-ounce package nacho cheese chips (save 2 cups for casserole topping)
- 2 tablespoons onion, grated
- 1 10-ounce can chili with beans
- 10- to 15-ounce can enchilada sauce
- 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups nacho cheese chips
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cups sour cream
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Crumble 6 cups nacho cheese chips with your hands into a large mixing bowl.
Add the onion, the chili, the enchilada sauce, tomato sauce and 1½ cups of cheddar cheese to the crumbled nacho cheese chips. Stir with a rubber spatula to combine. Place mixture into an 8½ x 11-inch oven proof casserole dish.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from the oven. Spread the sour cream over the top of the casserole with a large spoon or rubber spatula. Top with remaining 2 cups nacho cheese chips. Then sprinkle with the 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese.
Bake for another five minutes and serve.