Classic tomato soup gets a kick from fire-roasted tomatoes, roasted red pepper, smoked sweet paprika and sundried tomato paste in this easy recipe from Rach.
She likes to pair it with her Pimiento Grilled Cheese.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, white or yellow, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon pimenton (smoked sweet paprika)
- 3 tablespoons sundried tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- Two 28-ounce cans fire-roasted tomatoes
- About ⅓ cup heavy cream, crème fraiche or Greek yogurt, optional
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, add the onion and season with salt and pepper, cook to soften 3 minutes, then add red peppers, garlic, pimenton, tomato paste, and stock. Soften 4-5 minutes partially covered, then add tomatoes and heat through. Puree with stick blender. Reduce heat to low and simmer, then stir in cream, if using, to serve.