How To Make French Onion Monte Cristo with Spring Greens Salad |…
Tommy DiDario Styles Man Who Went Viral Offering To Do Odd Jobs …
How To DIY Sun Protection For Hair | Celebrity Hairstylist Ted G…
How To Do a Twist Braid | Summer Hair Trends | Celebrity Hairsty…
How To Make Quick Beef or Chicken Curry with Ginger and Leeks | …
Rachael + John Get Emotional Sharing Figurine Of "Angel Isaboo" …
Fear The Walking Dead Actress Jenna Elfman On Why She Thinks The…
Dharma & Greg Star Jenna Elfman Reminisces On The Show 20 Years …
How To Make Pasta con Poblano | Rachael Ray
This Incredible 15-Year-Old Baker Is Fighting Child Food Insecur…
NEW: Duff Goldman's No-Bake Chocolate Cream Pie + Buddy Valastro…
ALL NEW: Rach's Pasta alla Norma + A Summer Salad Made With BREAD
How To Grill Pork Tenderloin, Poultry Burgers + Burger Blends | …
How To Make a Negroni Royale Cocktail | John Cusimano
How To Grill Sausages The Right Way—Without Drying Them Out | Ra…
Rachael's Favorite Restaurants + Things To Do In The Adirondacks…
How To Make Tagliatelle with Ground Meat Ragu and Peas | Rachael…
How To Make Lemon-Blueberry Ricotta Cheesecake | Rachael's Siste…
How To Make Honey-Bourbon Glazed Chicken With Wild Rice | Chef J…
How To Make Kung Pao Chicken | Chef Jet Tila
Man Who Was Shot Saving Stranger's Life Starts Organization Devo…
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large fresh bay leaf
- 4 large onions or 6 small, peeled and thinly sliced
- Salt and white pepper or fine black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- A splash of brandy or dry sherry
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup beef bone broth or stock or vegetable stock for vegetarian preparation
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup cream or half-and-half
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 8 slices good-quality white slicing bread or English toasting bread
- ¾ pound deli-sliced or coarsely grated Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cornichons with pickled onions, to garnish plate
- 1 small shallot, grated or pasted
- 1 clove garlic, grated, minced or pasted
- 1 teaspoon honey or sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Juice of ½ small lemon
- Salt and pepper
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 7 to 8 cups greens, such as young Swiss chard, butter lettuce, frisée
- 1 cup fresh mixed herbs, such as tarragon, parsley tops and dill
For the caramelized onions, heat a medium skillet over low to medium-low heat with EVOO, a turn of the pan, add butter and melt into oil, add bay leaf and onions, season with salt, white pepper and thyme, stir frequently for about 40 to 45 minutes. Do not brown. If onions are going too fast and begin to brown at edges OR if you want to speed the process up, add about ½ cup water and let it absorb once the onions are soft. Once caramel in color, add brandy or sherry and wine and let it absorb fully, then add stock and reduce liquid to 2 tablespoons and remove from heat. Let cool and remove bay leaf.
For the sandwiches, in a shallow dish, whisk up eggs and cream or half-and-half with nutmeg and salt. Make sandwiches of bread, cheese, caramelized onions, cheese, and bread.
Preheat griddle to medium.
Melt butter in microwave or in small pot.
Butter the griddle and turn sandwiches in egg mixture and cook to golden brown and cheese is melted. Halve corner to corner and serve with salad alongside and cornichons.
For the dressing, place shallot and garlic in bowl with honey or sugar, Dijon, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper, whisk and add EVOO in slow stream to emulsify.
For the salad, pour dressing over greens and herbs and toss to coat, serve.