How To Make Apple Mac & Cheese With Brats | Rachael Ray
Meet The Chef Whose Nonprofit Provides Healthy Meals + Human Con…
How To Make a Cucumber Margarita | John Cusimano
See Rachael's Dog Bella Boo Blue's Adorable First Trip to NYC's …
How To Make Shrimp Nachos with Green Tomato or Raw Tomatillo Ver…
75-Year-Old Hot Dog Stand In L.A. Goes Viral On TikTok After Bec…
How To Make No-Bake Chocolate Cream Pie | Duff Goldman
How To Make Waterfall Cake | Cake Boss Buddy Valastro
How To Make Cacio e Pepe With Homemade Cavatelli | Top Chef Joe …
How To Make Cedar Braised Bison | Chef Sean Sherman | The Sioux …
How To Make Pasta alla Norma | Roasted Eggplant Pasta | Rachael…
Two Steps Home HGTV Couple Gives Backyard Tour With Vertical Gar…
How To Make Challah Panzanella | Jake Cohen
Tommy DiDario Styles Man Who Went Viral Offering To Do Odd Jobs …
How To DIY Sun Protection For Hair | Celebrity Hairstylist Ted G…
How To Do a Twist Braid | Summer Hair Trends | Celebrity Hairsty…
How To Make Quick Beef or Chicken Curry with Ginger and Leeks | …
Rachael + John Get Emotional Sharing Figurine Of "Angel Isaboo" …
Fear The Walking Dead Actress Jenna Elfman On Why She Thinks The…
Dharma & Greg Star Jenna Elfman Reminisces On The Show 20 Years …
How To Make Pasta con Poblano | Rachael Ray
"If you like apple pie with cheddar on top, this is your dream casserole," Rach says of this fall twist on mac and cheese she cooked in her Halloween costume — the gopher from the 1980 movie "Caddyshack." (John dressed up as Bill Murray's character, Carl!)
In honor of Halloween, John paired Rach's dish with a festive sparkling cocktail he's dubbed Bobbing For Apples.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 small crisp apples or 2 medium-large, peeled and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- About ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove or pumpkin spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or smoked cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon or orange zest
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup cider
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups half 'n' half
- Salt and white pepper or fine black pepper
- 1 pound macaroni or short-cut pasta of choice
- 3 cups grated cheddar, white or yellow
- 1 ½ cups crushed white or yellow cheddar crackers
- One handful parsley, chopped
- About ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 8 brats (bratwurst or sausages of any kind, we like Weisswurst, veal and pork)
- 2 tablespoons oil, olive or neutral
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and white or fine black pepper
- 1 pound sauerkraut with caraway in refrigerated sack or jar
- ½ cup water or stock
For the apple mac & cheese, heat a large pot of water for the pasta to boil.
Preheat oven to 400˚F with rack at center.
Heat a large, deep skillet over medium heat with butter, add onions, apples and bay, season with nutmeg, clove, cinnamon, zest, thyme and brown sugar, soften 7 to 8 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle flour over top and stir a minute, whisk in cider, stock and half and half, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a bubble and thicken sauce to coat back of spoon in thin layer, 6 to 7 minutes at low bubble over medium-low simmer.
Cook pasta in salted water about 6 minutes, then drain.
Stir cheese into sauce a few handfuls at a time.
Toss pasta with sauce and apples and place in casserole dish.
Combine cracker crumbs with parsley and Parm and top pasta. Brown and bubble, cool 5 minutes and serve.
For the brats & sauerkraut, parboil sausages to heat through in an inch of water, transfer to a platter, empty pan, wipe, return to medium heat with oil, 2 turns of pan. Melt butter into oil and saute onions with bay, salt and white pepper or fine black pepper. Soften 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to light golden. Add the sauerkraut to onions and add the sausages back to pan, add water or stock, simmer 5 minutes, and serve.