A brothy, hearty bowl of Rach's ramen noodles comes heaped with crispy tofu, sauteed mushrooms, green beans, soft-boiled eggs, and fresh crunchy radishes.
- ½ pound stemmed green beans
- 4 large eggs, optional (omit for vegan preparation)
- 4 tablespoons safflower, olive or avocado oil
- ¾ pound firm tofu, cut into ¼-inch-thick slabs, then 1 ½-inch squares, pat dry
- Salt and pepper
- Black sesame seeds, optional
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms, hen-of-the-woods or maitake, pulled into bite-sized pieces, and shiitakes, stemmed and sliced
- 2 bunches scallions, about 12, whites and greens separated, sliced on bias
- 2 inches fresh ginger root, cut into thin 1-inch matchsticks
- 1 bulb black garlic, peeled and pasted (or 1 bulb roasted garlic —roast in foil 40 minutes at 400˚F), pasted)
- 3 to 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage or dark greens, such as kale or chard
- 6 cups vegetables stock
- 2 tablespoons Mirin or sake
- 2 tablespoons Ponzu sauce, or 1 small lime, juiced
- 3 tablespoons black garlic shoyu, shoyu or soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 12 to 16 ounces ramen or spaghetti
- Matchsticks of watermelon radish, radish or Daikon
- Pickled ginger
- Chili oil or sauce, to pass
Boil water and blanch green beans, cold shock, split lengthwise, and reserve.
Cover eggs with cold water, bring to boil, cover and let stand 7 minutes. Drain eggs, crack shells and cool in ice water, then peel.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in small frying pan, cast iron or nonstick, over medium-high heat, add tofu and season with salt and pepper, brown 2-3 minutes on each side and top with sesame seeds.
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat and add remaining oil, 2 turns of the pan, brown mushrooms until crispy then season with salt and pepper and add whites of scallions, fresh ginger and garlic. Add the stock and bring to a boil, then wilt in greens of choice and add Mirin, ponzu, shoyu and sesame oil, simmer at low boil until ready to serve.
Bring water to boil for noodles. Cook to package directions.
Fill bowls with ramen, top with soup, arrange green beans, halved eggs, radishes, pickled ginger and remaining scallion greens on soup and serve. Pass with chili oil or sauce.