Shaved rib eye beef and caramelized onions are folded into a crisp, cheesy tortilla complete with chopped giardiniera.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound shaved/very thinly sliced boneless rib eye beef
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- Olive or neutral oil in squirt bottle, for drizzling
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 2 ½ cups shredded provolone cheese (about ¾ pound)
- 1 cup drained, chopped giardiniera relish
- Sour cream, for topping
- Sweet or hot cherry pepper rings, for topping
Heat a skillet over medium heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Add onions, season with salt and cook 12-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add ¾ cup water, raise heat and let it absorb fully. Remove from heat. Place onions in a dish, then wipe pan clean and return to stove.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high to high heat. Season the beef with salt, pepper, garlic, onion and oregano. Add a drizzle of neutral oil or olive oil to pan and cook meat in 2 batches, browning and chopping, then remove to plate.
Reheat skillet over medium-low to medium heat. Spray skillet and blister 1 tortilla at a time, 30 seconds, flip and top half the tortilla with beef, cheese and giardiniera, then fold the other half on top. Turn the quesadilla and gently press it to brown and melt cheese. Repeat.
Cut quesadilla into wedges and top with a drizzle of sour cream and pepper rings.