The inspiration for Rach's Pork Katsu Sandos comes from a classic Japanese comfort food of fried breaded pork cutlets served with Tonkatsu Sauce.
- About ½ pound seedless cucumber or Persian cucumber, very thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon plus about 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, quartered and very thinly sliced
- A small handful of shiso or cilantro, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 4 center-cut boneless pork loin chops, 1 ½ pounds total, trimmed of fat and pounded ⅛-inch thick
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomato or tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups panko
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup toasted sesame seeds
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pourable light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 inch ginger, grated or minced
- Safflower or canola frying oil
- 1 loaf milk bread or good-quality white bread, sliced and crusts trimmed
- Dijon mustard
- 2 cups shredded Napa or cabbage
For the pickled cucumbers, combine cucumbers with 1 teaspoon each salt and sugar and strain 30 minutes, pat dry and dress with ½ teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar and toss with shallots and shiso or cilantro and 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
For the pork katsu, season the pork cutlets with salt and pepper.
In a shallow dish, whisk up eggs with 2 tablespoons Worcestershire and the sundried tomato paste or tomato paste.
In a second shallow dish, combine panko, ginger, granulated garlic, granulated onion, flour and sesame seeds.
Fill a large skillet with ½ inch frying oil and heat over medium to medium-high heat. Coat pork with eggs then press into panko coating. Fry pork about 3 minutes on each side. Drain on rack.
For the tonkatsu sauce, combine about ½ cup ketchup, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, the light brown sugar, mirin, remaining 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic and ginger and remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil, then place in squirt bottle, optional.
To build the sandos: Layer bread, Dijon, cabbage, pickled cucumbers, pork katsu, tonkatsu sauce, bread. Cut sandos corner to corner and serve.