Pumpkin Vodka Cream Pasta with Spinach or Kale | Shells & Cheese…
How to Make Spiked Hot Chocolate Hazelnut Mudslides | Sunny Ande…
Jamie Lee Curtis Has an Adorable Proud Godmother Moment for Gods…
How to Make Marinated Beef Filet Bites with Spinach Rice Pilaf (…
What Are Rachael's Favorite Plant-Based Meals to Make? | Q & Ray…
Jamie Lee Curtis On Her "Halloween Kills" Character Laurie "Soft…
How to Make German Chocolate Cookies | Sunny Anderson
How to Make Chocolate-Hazelnut Puff Pastry Twists
How to Make Everything Puff Pastry Pigs in a Blanket
Black-ish Star Anthony Anderson Teases Final Season Surprises: "…
Baby Nursery Tour: Style Expert + Host Lilliana Vazquez Shows In…
How to Make Bacon, Egg and Cheese Toast Cups
Anthony Anderson's Mom Put Acting Dreams Aside to Raise Him—But …
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken and Scallion Noodles | Rachael Ray
Our First Guest Back in the Studio Is Legendary Chef Jacques Pép…
How to Make Chile Verde Tacos de Picadillo | Rachael Ray
Rach Returns to Studio in New Set Kitchen: Watch Her Welcome Our…
José Andrés Makes a Fridge-Hunting Tuna Salad
Bob Harper Needed a Letter of Recommendation for His New NYC Hom…
Inside Rachael & John's Dreamy 16th Anniversary Celebration at T…
As part of our "12 Days of Thanksgiving" countdown, Rach shares a creamy, pumpkin twist on shells and cheese.
- 1 small pumpkin, halved and cleaned, sprayed with non-aerosol olive oil or brushed with oil
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped, or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- ¼ cup 'nduja or (to make it vegetarian) 1 ½ teaspoons red chili flakes or 1 rounded tablespoon Calabrian chili paste
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup vodka
- 2 cups packed shredded, stemmed fresh flat kale or defrosted/wilted spinach, excess liquid squeezed out in kitchen towel and chopped
- About 2 cups Pumpkin Puree
- 1 cup cream
- 1 pound lumache or large shell pasta, or 500 grams
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the Pumpkin Puree, preheat oven to 450˚F with rack at center, season the pumpkin with salt, pepper and nutmeg, roast cut-side down to tender, about 30 minutes, cool to handle and scoop the flesh. Puree.
(Of course, you can take a shortcut and use about 2 cups of store-bought butternut squash puree or 15 ounces cooked canned pumpkin as a substitute per pound of pasta.)
For the pasta, heat a pot of water for pasta, about 6 quarts.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with EVOO, add butter and let it melt and foam, add the shallots or onions and garlic, ‘nduja (or red chili flakes), and salt and black pepper. Soften a couple of minutes while stirring, add vodka and reduce by about ⅔, then wilt in kale or add spinach. Add pumpkin puree and cream and keep warm over lowest heat.
Salt water and cook pasta 1 minute less than directions, reserve 1 cup of water and drain. Toss pasta with sauce and cheese, adding water as necessary to keep sauce thick but loose not dry.