- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground beef, 80%
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 inch peeled ginger root, grated (or ½ teaspoon ground ginger)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock or water
- ½ cup ketchup, preferred brand Sir Kensington's
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot (or to taste)
- 6-8 hot dogs, beef or pork
- Melted butter, for brushing rolls
- 6-8 top-split hot dog rolls
- 1 ½ cups shredded sharp yellow cheddar cheese, 1 sack
- Finely chopped white onions or relish or chopped pickles
- Yellow mustard
Heat a pot over medium-high heat, add oil, finely crumble and brown meat. Add salt and pepper, onions, jalapeño peppers, garlic, ginger, chili powder, paprika, cumin, coriander, and paste, stir 2 minutes. Add Worcestershire, stock, ketchup and hot sauce, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
Simmer dogs in 1-inch water at low rolling boil to heat through.
Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
Butter and grill rolls and remove from pan.
Split the dogs lengthwise to butterfly open and crisp skins and the split sides.
Serve dogs in rolls with cheese, top with chili, onions, relish/pickles and mustard.