With olives and pickled cherry peppers, this veggie side dish takes on a giardiniera-like bite.
Rach likes serving it with her Beer Cheese Soup.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces of stem and florets
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- About 3/4 cup olives with pimiento, drained and chopped
- 1 cup loosely paced parsley tops, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Italian hot cherry pepper rings, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, grated or pasted
- 1 scant teaspoon dried oregano or marjoram
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar, white or red
- About 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
- Salt and pepper
For the salad, bring a few inches of water to a rolling boil in a deep skillet or pot. Set up a large bowl of ice water.
Trim and cut cauliflower while water comes to boil. Season water with salt, add cauliflower and cook 5 minutes or so to tender-crisp, drain in fine strainer and cold-shock by submerging the strainer in the ice water. Drain and dry the cauliflower, then place in large bowl with onion, celery, olives, parsley and cherry peppers.
For the dressing, whisk garlic, oregano or marjoram, lemon and vinegar, stream in oil, then season dressing with salt and pepper.
Dress cauliflower salad and toss to combine; chill or serve.