The crisp, clean flavors of Rach’s slaw are balanced by rich, meaty walnuts and shavings of salty parmigiano-reggiano cheese.
She likes to serve this slaw with her Bacon Saltimbocca Chicken Tenders with Balsamic, Honey and Mustard Sauce.
- 1 small shallot, grated or minced, or 2 scallions finely chopped
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 teaspoon sugar , or Acacia honey
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
- Fine black pepper and/or white pepper, to taste
- 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, thinly sliced on bias
- 2 bulbs fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced or mandoline-sliced
- 2 medium crisp apples, Gala, honey or green, peeled, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup arugula leaves, or flat parsley tops
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano, or firm pecorino, shaved with vegetable peeler
Combine shallots or scallions with salt and lemon juice, and let stand 10 minutes. Add sugar or honey and whisk in EVOO in slow stream to emulsify, then add pepper to taste. Add celery, fennel and apples, and toss to combine. To serve, lightly toss with arugula or parsley, toasted nuts and shaved cheese.