A mix of radicchio, arugula, romaine and endive, plus fennel results in a colorful, healthy side dish with lots of crunch.
Rach likes to serve this with her Carbonara Frittata with Ricotta.
- 1 head radicchio, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 heads Gem Romaine, trimmed and coarsely chopped (or 1 heart romaine)
- 1 endive, thinly sliced
- 2-3 cups arugula or baby kale
- 1 small bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus a handful of fronds, chopped
- ¼ cup tarragon, coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot or a quarter red onion, grated or minced
- 1 clove garlic, grated or minced
- 2 teaspoons honey or agave
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- ½ lemon, juiced
- About ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon fennel pollen, optional
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
In a bowl, combine the lettuces with fennel, fronds and tarragon. In a jar or plastic food storage container, combine the shallot or onion, garlic, honey or agave, mustard, vinegar, lemon juice, EVOO, salt, pepper, oregano, fennel pollen and red pepper, and shake to combine. To serve, toss the dressing with salad and adjust salt and pepper to taste.