- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bulb fennel, trimmed, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced
- 3 crisp apples, peeled, quartered, cored and very thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, quartered, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 small or 1/2 large white or Savoy cabbage (3/4 to 1 pound) , quartered, cored and sliced 3/4- to 1-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Acacia honey
- 1 lemon, divided
- 4 bone-in pork loin chops, about 1 1/4 inches thick
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 8 slices meaty bacon
- 4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 6 chunks per potato
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2-3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 ounches grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- Salt and white pepper, to taste
- About 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1/4 cup minced chives
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange bacon on slotted pan and cook to crisp. Finely chop.
While the bacon cooks, place potatoes and garlic in a pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Salt water and cook potatoes to tender. Drain and pass potatoes through a food mill or ricer set over the hot pot. Stir in milk, butter, cheese, salt, white pepper, nutmeg, chives and 3/4 of the chopped bacon. Adjust seasoning to taste and cover to keep warm. (If you are holding potatoes for a long period of time—an hour or more—place pot with potatoes in larger pan with simmering water to create a bain-marie.
For the gravy, melt butter in a saucepot or skillet. Add peppers, whisk in flour, stocks and Worcestershire. Cook to thicken, add salt to taste and lower heat.
For the cabbage, heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons oil, fennel, apples, onion, cabbage, salt, pepper and thyme. Sauté 12-15 minutes to tender-crisp, add 1 cup water and honey let it absorb 5 minutes more. Add juice of 1/2 lemon just before serving.
For the chops, heat a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, with remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 2 turns of pan. Wipe around pan with a paper towel to evenly coat the bottom then add chops. Cook 10 minutes, turning occasionally, douse chops with stock and juice of half a lemon. Reduce heat and evaporate liquids; remove from heat.
Serve chops with potatoes topped with gravy and remaining bacon, with extra gravy for and the cabbage alongside.