Rachael’s Pork Chops with Sage, Cider and Balsamic Vinegar
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 4 pork chops, bone in, about 1 - 1 ¼ inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- A small bunch of sage leaves
- Extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO, about 2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup aged balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup fig preserves
- 2 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 cup cloudy apple cider
- 8 fresh figs or 2 crisp apples, for apples, peel, quarter, core, slice and saute 2-3 minutes in butter with a splash of lemon juice
- 4 Russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 6 ounces taleggio, trimmed of rind and diced, or Fontina Val D'Aosta, shredded
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- White pepper
- Finely grated nutmeg, to taste, about ⅛ teaspoon
Preheat oven to 425˚F with rack at center.
Season the pork chops with salt and pepper and press a few leaves of sage into chops. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and brown chops in EVOO, 2 turns of the pan. Brown chops on both sides and remove, 4-5 minutes total. Add butter, melt, add garlic and shallot, stir a minute or 2, then add vinegar and melt preserves into it. Add mustard and cider, reduce 1-2 minutes, then add salt and black pepper to taste. Add figs or apples and stir, add chops back and transfer to oven for 12-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, boil potatoes or make polenta (get my quick-cooking polenta recipe with honey, pepper and cheese here).
Cover potatoes with water, bring to boil, salt water and cook to tender, then drain and place back in hot pot; mash with cheese and milk; season.