Blistering tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic in the oven gives this salsa an irresistible smokiness.
Rach uses this salsa in her Beef and Chorizo Burgers with Smoky Salsa and Pepper Jack.
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 onion, peeled and cut into 6 wedges, white or yellow
- 1 bulb garlic, cut to expose ends of cloves
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- Non-aerosol cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons light agave or honey
- A pinch cinnamon, about ⅛ teaspoon
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon pimenton/smoked paprika or paprika
- 1 lime
- A small handful cilantro
Preheat broiler to high. Arrange the tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalapeños on foil-lined tray and coat with cooking spray. Char the ingredients and cool. Squish the garlic from the skins and peel the peppers and seed them. Place the tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, agave, cinnamon, salt and pepper, oregano, paprika, juice of lime and cilantro in food processor. Process to form a thick salsa.