How do you upgrade a comfort food classic like beef stroganoff? By melting a layer of gruyere cheese on top, for starters!
We also highly recommend Rach’s Stroganoff Burger.
- One 12- or 16-ounce bag extra-wide egg noodles
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (chives, dill and parsley)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80/20)
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces white or crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced (¾ pound)
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped (or 1 medium white or yellow onion)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, or ½ cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups homemade rye breadcrumbs, or homemade pumpernickel breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded gruyere
- 1/2 cup finely chopped dill, chives and parsley
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
For the egg noodles, cook noodles two minutes less than package directions, then toss with butter and herbs, salt and pepper.
For the beef and mushrooms, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with half the olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, add beef and brown, breaking up with the back of your spoon, season with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Remove the beef from the skillet and set aside.
Add the remainder of the oil to the same pan, then add the mushrooms and brown. Add the shallots or onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, stir a few minutes to soften shallots, then add sherry or wine and let it evaporate and cook into the mushrooms. Add stock and simmer 5 minutes, then stir in heavy cream and sour cream. Add the beef back to the skillet with the mushrooms and remove from heat.
For the breadcrumbs, in a bowl, mix together melted butter, breadcrumbs, gruyere and herbs.
Toss beef and mushroom mixture with noodles. Pour into casserole dish. Top with gruyere and rye breadcrumbs and bake until brown and bubbly.