Fresh herbs, a hint of spice and toasted pistachios give this refreshing side a huge boost of healthy flavor and texture. Try pairing it with a simple pasta like Rach's Toasted Cacio e Pepe.
- 1 garlic clove, grated or pasted
- About 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 scant teaspoon Acacia honey, a drizzle
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- About 1 tablespoon white or red vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, EVOO
- 4 to 5 vine tomatoes, halved and sliced 1/2-inch (wedge your cuts)
- 1 English or seedless cucumber, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4-inch-thick, or 4 Persian cucumbers, sliced 1/4-inch-thick
- 1 small red onion, quartered and peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, quartered, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 red finger pepper or Fresno chili, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped
- 1 inch horseradish, or parsley root, or parsnip, finely grated
- 1/2 cup toasted pistachios, chopped
For the dressing, in a small to medium bowl, whisk up garlic, salt, honey, lemon and vinegar. While whisking, stream in oil to emulsify dressing.
For the salad, to a larger bowl, add tomatoes, cucumber, onion, chilies and mint. Pour dressing over and toss the salad and adjust the salt. Top with horseradish and pistachios. Serve chilled or room temperature. Toss again to freshen just before you serve and drain off a bit if too much excess liquid.