This easy oven roast of Bratwursts, cabbage, onions and potatoes is served as a platter drizzled with spicy-sweet maple mustard and finished with fried sage leaves.
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 8 wedges (1½ to 1¾ pounds)
- 2 red onions, each cut into 6 wedges through root
- 12 large cloves garlic, cracked but left in skins
- 5 to 6 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated nutmeg, about 1/8 teaspoon
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes, halved lengthwise (or 3 large russet potatoes, each cut into 8 wedges lengthwise)
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 8 links spicy sausage, such as Bratwurst, or mild sausages, such as Weisswurst
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 20 to 24 leaves sage
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
Preheat oven to 425˚F.
Arrange cabbage, onions and garlic on a baking sheet and dress lightly with olive oil, then toss to coat and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cover pan with foil.
Arrange potatoes on a second baking sheet and season with salt, pepper, and granulated garlic. Cover with foil.
Poke the sausages with tines of a fork.
Roast cabbage and onions 20 minutes, then remove foil and add sausages. Roast until they are cooked through, 20-30 minutes more.
Roast the potatoes 20 minutes, then remove foil and roast until crispy and golden, 20-30 minutes more.
Melt butter in skillet and when foam subsides, add sage leaves. Crisp leaves and brown the butter, then remove the sage leaves to towel. In another skillet, add maple syrup and mustard. Mix together and let it warm through. Arrange the potatoes, cabbage, sausage, onions and garlic on a platter, drizzle the brown butter and maple mustard over everything, add sage leaves and serve.