Rachael's "Rachel" Nachos… wait, what?
Okay, let us explain: a "Rachel" sandwich is a Reuben but made with pastrami or roast turkey instead of corned beef. These nachos are Rachael's yummy twist on the "Rachel" sandwich, with toppings piled on waffle fries instead of chips (which is what makes them "Irish" nachos).
- One 22-ounce package waffle fries, such as Ore-Ida
- Salt and pepper
- About ¾ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- About ¼ cup pickle relish, such as Wickles
- About 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish, such as Gold's
- 1 ½ teaspoons caraway seed
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained
- ½ cup chicken stock or bone broth
- 1 pound turkey pastrami or house roast turkey breast, sliced at deli then chopped
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese or Swiss and white cheddar combined
- Chopped dill and chives, to top
- Mild or hot pickled jalapeño pepper rings, optional
Preheat oven to 450˚F.
In a bowl, combine sour cream, ketchup, relish, Worcestershire, and horseradish.
In a small pot over medium heat, toast seeds and add sauerkraut, then reduce heat to low and keep warm.
In a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, warm stock, add chopped meat and remove to a plate. Wipe pan and return to low heat to keep warm.
When potatoes come out of the oven, switch broiler on high.
Arrange potatoes in cast-iron skillet and top with meat, sauerkraut and cheeses. Broil to brown and bubble, top with sauce, herbs and jalapeño slices, and serve from skillet immediately.