Ranch + fried chicken sandwich + BLT + easy refrigerator pickles = Rach's ultimate summer sandwich.
"Store-bought pickles are just fine," Rach says. "But if you have the time…"
- 1 pound seedless cucumber or Persian cucumbers, sliced ¼-inch-thick
- ½ small onion, quartered and thinly sliced (or 1 large shallot, halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 ½ teaspoons yellow mustard seed
- 1 ½ teaspoons coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons dried dill, or 4 stems fresh dill
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup white or cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- About ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce (Rach likes Frank's RedHot or Tabasco)
- 2 teaspoons superfine sugar or sugar
- 2 tablespoons dried dill
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- Salt, fine black and/or white pepper, to taste
- 6 pieces boneless, skinless chicken cutlets (or 3 horizontally halved chicken breasts, tenders removed)
- 12 slices bacon, halved across
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Frying oil, about 1 quart
- 6 slices American cheese or Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups shredded Napa, white cabbage or iceberg lettuce
- 6 brioche rolls, halved
- 6 thin slices white or red onion
- 6 thin slices beefsteak tomato
For the Refrigerator Overnight Pickles, arrange the cucumbers and onions, seeds, peppercorns, dill, bay and garlic in a Mason jar or airtight container.
Bring to a boil in a small pot the vinegar, water, sugar and salt, dissolve the sugar and salt, then pour over the top of the cucumbers and cool a bit. Cover and refrigerate overnight and keep for up to 3 weeks.
For the Ranch marinade and dressing, combine all ingredients and divide, placing about ¾ cup in a plastic food storage bag and funnel the rest into a squirt bottle or transfer to an airtight container.
For the sandwiches, place chicken in bag with marinade and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Arrange bacon on slotted pan or wire rack-lined baking sheet. Bake until crisp.
Combine breadcrumbs and panko and season with garlic, onion and paprika.
Heat about 1 to 1 ½ inches frying oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Shake excess dressing off chicken and press evenly into coating on both sides. Fry chicken about 3 minutes per each side until deeply golden and cooked through. Drain on wire rack-lined baking sheet and top each piece with 1 slice cheese. Place in the oven to melt.
Toss cabbage or lettuce with some Ranch dressing.
Assemble sandwiches: bun bottom, pickles, chicken, bacon, onion, tomato, cabbage or lettuce, bun top.