Rach came up with this spicy, southern-inspired dish of shrimp and grits with chorizo for her husband John's band.
For the ultimate cookalong dinner party, check out Bobby Flay's Seared Sea Scallops with Avocado-Corn Relish on Crispy Tortillas, Carla Hall's Banana Pudding with Vanilla Wafer Crumble, and John Cusimano's Hibiscus Sweet Tea Sangria.
- 3 medium or 2 large poblano peppers
- 4 cups stock (chicken, vegetable or seafood)
- 1¼ cup grits or corn meal (Rach likes Oaxacan Green Grits from Barton Springs Mill in Texas)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- About ¼ cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- About 1 cup crumbled Cotija cheese or other mild cheese such as Asadero, Queso Fresco or Chihuahua
- Jalapeño hot sauce (Rach likes Tabasco)
- Salt, to taste
- ¼ cup cilantro, stemmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or canola/vegetable oil
- 1 pound fresh Mexican chorizo
- 20 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and tails off
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, ⅓ palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander, ⅓ palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano, ⅓ palmful
- 1 teaspoon ground pimenton/sweet smoked paprika, ⅓ palmful
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 small shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ cup dry sherry, white wine or beer
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garnish options: cilantro, bias-cut scallions, parsley leaves or edible flowers
Preheat broiler to high. With the oven door ajar to allow steam to escape, broil the poblanos until charred all over. Place chilies in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let cool. Peel, seed and roughly chop. Reserve.
Heat stock in a medium saucepot to boil and whisk in grits. Simmer over lowest heat and whisk 25 to 30 minutes until cornmeal is very tender, then stir in butter, crema, cheese, hot sauce, poblanos and cilantro.
While the grits are working, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil, 1 turn of the pan, add chorizo and brown and crumble, remove from the pan and save 3 tablespoons of drippings. Add shrimp and season with cumin, coriander, oregano and pimenton or smoked sweet paprika, toss 3 to 4 minutes, add garlic and shallot and toss a minute more, add sherry or wine or beer and juice of 1 lime, and remove from heat. Add chorizo back to pan, combine.
Serve the grits in shallow bowl and top with chorizo and shrimp and garnishes of choice.