- 10 slices meaty bacon, half a pound
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or neutral oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground sirloin (80/20)
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder blend or Aleppo chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 large onion
- 1 can or jar piquillo peppers, 7-8, drained and chopped (or 2 roasted red peppers, drained and chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- One 14-ounce can diced or crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 bag tortilla chips
- 2 cups shredded yellow medium cheddar (12 ounces)
- Mild or hot pickled jalapeno pepper rings
- Chopped white onions or scallions, to serve
- Cilantro or parsley, to serve
- One 16-ounce container of sour cream or Mexican crema
- Smoked Chipotle Tabasco, to taste
- A squeeze of lime
Preheat oven to 400˚F and bake bacon on a slotted pan or wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet until very crisp, 16 to 18 minutes. Remove and cool to handle, then chop.
In a large, deep skillet, heat oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat, add beef and brown and crumble, season with salt, pepper, paprika, chili powder, oregano, cumin and coriander, stirring to toast spices a minute or so. Add onions and cook to soften, adding about ½ cup water after a few minutes, let it absorb, then add piquillos or roasted peppers, garlic, stir a minute more, add sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire, paste and combine. Stir in diced or crushed tomatoes and reduce heat to low. Add a little more water if the mixture gets too thick or starts to burn.
Add chips to oven and toast a couple of minutes, top chips with meat and cheese and switch on broiler to high, then broil to brown cheese.
Meanwhile, season sour cream or Mexican crema with smoked Chipotle Tabasco sauce to taste and a squeeze of lime and put in a squeeze bottle.
Top nachos with pickled pepper rings, onions or scallions, cilantro or parsley, spicy crema sauce and chopped bacon, serve.