How To Make Stuffed Monte Cristo (Croques Monsieur-Style) By Rac…
Cubano-Style Monte Cristo
Savory Italian-Style Monte Cristo Sandwiches
How To Make Cheesy Stuffed Apples By Rachael
Open-Faced Monte Cristo Clubs
How To Make Bolognese-Style Chicken Cutlets By Rachael
How To Make Spinach and Cheese Strata by Patricia Heaton
How to Make White Bolognese Lasagna by Rachael
How To Make Gochujang Skillet Chicken & Korean Rice By Rachael
How To Make Keto Lasagna-Style Stuffed Zucchini By Rachael
How To Make Cheese Fondue By Rachael
Ham and cheese goes full glam in Rach's recipe, from brioche bread to a dunk into an egg custard for a cheesy, crisp, and puffed twist on a Monte Cristo.
- 5 eggs
- ¾ cup half-and-half
- Freshly grated nutmeg, a few grinds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup crème fraiche, Greek yogurt or sour cream
- About ½ cup grainy or traditional Dijon mustard
- 8 slices brioche bread or good-quality white bread, crusts cut off
- 8 slices shredded Gruyere or Swiss cheese, or 8-10 ounces
- 12 slices mild sliced ham, such as prosciutto cotto, French ham or boiled ham
- 5-6 tabs butter, about 5 tablespoons
- Onion jam or apricot or raspberry all-fruit preserves
In a shallow dish or bowl, whisk up the eggs, half 'n' half, nutmeg, salt, and sugar.
In a small bowl, combine crème fraîche, yogurt or sour cream with mustard and coat one side of the bread and build sandwiches of evenly distributed cheese and ham. Cut sandwiches into 2 triangles.
Preheat griddle or large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Melt butter, coat sandwiches in egg custard and cook slowly 4 halves, 2 sandwiches at a time on all sides in melted butter to golden and puffed. Keep warm in low oven. Serve with pickles and jam of choice.