A sweet & spicy combo doubles as both marinade and glaze for these “drummies,” which are perfect game day viewing fuel!
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 cup strawberry preserves
- 2 jalapeños, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 cup cold chicken stock
- 8 - 10 skin-on chicken drumsticks, about 2 pounds, at room temperature
- 5 strips cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
In a medium pot on medium-high heat, add the onion, garlic, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, preserves, jalapeños, a pinch of salt and plenty of coarse ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly reduced and thickened. Remove the marinade from the heat.
Combine ¼ of the marinade with the chicken stock and transfer to a large resealable plastic bag. Add the chicken and let rest at room temperature for 2 hours. Reserve the remaining marinade for the glaze.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Remove the chicken from the bag, shaking off any excess marinade, and season with salt and pepper; Arrange in one layer in a baking dish or baking sheet with sides, leaving about an inch between each piece to allow the air to circulate. Bake until the chicken is almost done, about 25 minutes, then remove and glaze the legs with the reserved marinade. Turn on the broiler and move the chicken to the bottom rack and cook until the glaze caramelizes, about 10 minutes.
Remove chicken from the oven to a serving platter and sprinkle with bacon and mint. Serve warm.