- Food & Fun
- Healthy Living
- Home & DIY
- Beauty & Style
- Show Info
Guy Fieri shares the recipe for his Super Melty Cheese sauce, plus his best nacho-making tips:
• "Find a nice big crunchy tortilla chip that can survive the Super Melty Cheese," Guy says—he's a big believer in frying up flour tortillas for homemade chips!
• Shred the cheese yourself: "They coat pre-shredded cheese so fresh grating is key so the cheese doesn't coagulate," Guy says.
• Use achiote paste in your meat topping: "It puts that great beautiful red hue in the meat that we love so much," Guy says. "Chop it nice and fine so it evenly disperses."
• Puree half the beans, and leave the rest whole: "That way you get the nice silky texture for some creaminess and some chunky. And season the beans! Use chorizo, soy chorizo, onions, garlic, all that good stuff."
• Don't rush the cheese sauce, or else it will ball up on you. "Cook it nice and slow, and stir it a lot."
• If you use jalapeños, soak them in water to remove some of the heat.
• Make a quick and easy salsa rojo by roasting tomatoes with onions, garlic and cilantro, then pureeing it.
• For an easy crema, whip sour cream with an immersion blender and a little milk.
For the Super Melty Cheese Sauce, in a 2 quart saucepan, bring ½ cup water and the half-and-half to a simmer over medium heat, then add the Worcestershire and hot sauce. Using a whisk, mix in the Velveeta a handful at a time until fully incorporated, then gradually add the remaining cheese. Mix until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth.
For the nachos, preheat the oven to 350°F. On a rimmed baking sheet, spread the ingredients evenly and layer in the following order: tortilla chips, cheese sauce, black beans, protein and shredded cheddar. Place in the oven or under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 4 minutes.
Remove from the oven, then scrape them into a cast iron skillet so they’re coated all over with the toppings. Add the rest of desired toppings such as sour cream or crema, avocados, salsa rojo and/or pico de gallo, jalapeño and cilantro and serve.