The classic Caesar salad goes Surf 'n' Turf with grilled shrimp, steak + garlic croutons.
For an "Upstate-style" twist on this recipe, Rach adds bacon bits and smoked blue cheese crumbles.
Rach's Tip: Bake your bacon on a slotted pan in your oven at 375˚F to 400˚F for 15 to 18 minutes.
Trying pairing it with John's Amalfi Spritzer Cocktail.
- 1 ½ to 2 pounds large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- About 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- About 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or 1 teaspoon dried
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 to 3 pounds thin boneless strip steaks or flatiron or flank steaks
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Vegetable or olive oil spray
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons, juiced
- About 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 to 5 anchovy filets
- 2 rounded teaspoons coarse black pepper
- About ⅔ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or a combination of Pecorino and Parmigiano-Reggiano
- One 12- to 14-inch loaf ciabatta bread, halved horizontally
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 1 cup either/or combined grated Parmigiano-Reggiano and Pecorino Romano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 12 cups chopped romaine or gem romaine lettuce
- Bacon bits, optional
- Smoked blue cheese crumbles, optional
For the shrimp, combine shrimp, garlic, red pepper, parsley, salt and EVOO. Thread on metal skewers and grill over medium-high to high heat with lemon halves to opaque and lightly browned at edges, 1 to 2 minutes on each side. Douse with lemon juice.
For the steak, bring meat to room temperature and pat dry. Season liberally with kosher salt and coarse pepper. Grill meat 6 to 7 minutes for pink centers over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, then rest 5 minutes and slice against the grain.
For the dressing, combine ingredients in food processor. Puree into smooth dressing and adjust pepper and cheese if needed.
For the garlic bread, arrange bread on foil-lined tray and preheat oven with center rack to 400˚F.
Combine EVOO and butter in dish for microwave or small pot, add garlic and heat to infuse flavor. Brush onto bread liberally and top with cheese and herbs. Bake to deeply golden, then cool to handle and cut into bite-sized pieces.
For the salad, dress greens and ¾ of the bread with dressing and arrange on very large board or platters and top with shrimp, steak and remaining garlic bread. Serve with bacon bits and blue cheese crumbles if using.