Rach wanted to help Bob Harper, host of The Biggest Loser, find new ways to cook nutrient-packed rainbow chard—Umami Spaghetti is her tasty solution.
- 1 large bunch rainbow chard
- About ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more to drizzle
- 4 filets of anchovy, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced or grated
- 3 tablespoons capers in brine, drained
- 2 teaspoons Calabrian chili paste, or 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato paste
- ½ cup red vermouth or red wine
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pound spaghetti (Rach likes to use farro or whole wheat pasta in this recipe)
- 1 cup grated pecorino cheese, plus more for passing at table
Heat a large pot of water, 5 to 6 quarts, to a boil for pasta.
Stem the chard and chop the stems. Coarsely shred the greens.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with EVOO and melt the anchovies into the oil. Add the chard stems, season with salt and pepper and soften a few minutes, add shallots, garlic, capers and stir a minute or 2 more. Add chili paste and tomato paste, stir 30 seconds, then add vermouth or wine. Stir a minute and add stock, reduce heat to low and simmer.
Salt cooking water and cook pasta 1 minute less than package directions.
Wilt greens into sauce a few handfuls at a time.
Reserve about ¾ cup pasta water. Drain pasta and return to hot pot. Add greens and sauce, a little extra EVOO and cheese, toss with tongs 1 minute, and add more water if needed to keep pasta loose. Pass with more cheese at table.