Rach's soup combines all the best parts of tomato soup, Bloody Marys and vodka cream sauce.
"Serve with Frico Eggs," Rach says.
For a topping of crispy, meaty bacon, bake strips in a 400˚F oven on a slotted pan to crisp.
- 1 bulb garlic
- Olive oil spray
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup vodka
- One 28-ounce can Italian tomatoes
- One 24-25 ounce jar passata (about 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish, or 1 round tablespoon freshly grated
- 3 cups beef or bone broth or stock or vegetable stock (for vegetarian soup)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Hot sauce (Rach likes Tabasco or Frank's RedHot), to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Dill and chives, finely chopped, to garnish
- Crispy, meaty bacon
- Sliced celery with leafy tops
- Cracked black peppercorns
- Pickled green beans
- Fresh mozzarella bites or shredded mozzarella
- Oyster crackers or saltines
Cut off end of bulb of garlic to expose the cloves and spray with oil, season with salt and pepper, wrap in foil and roast in 400˚F oven 40-45 minutes, cool and remove cloves from skins.
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat, add EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, add celery, onions, bay, and Old Bay, and stir a few minutes to soften, add garlic cloves and vodka and let it absorb. Add tomatoes, passata, Worcestershire, horseradish and stock, heat through then remove bay and puree with stick blender. Add cream and return to bubble, simmer on low until ready to serve. Season the soup with hot sauce and lemon juice. Adjust salt to your taste.
Garnish with dill and chives, and serve with toppings of choice.