- ⅓ pound oyster mushrooms, stemmed, washed and sliced
- ⅓ pound shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, washed and sliced
- ⅓ pound cremini mushrooms, stemmed, washed and sliced
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup spinach
- ½ cup basil leaves
- ½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chili flake
- 1 small clove garlic
- 6 pocketless pitas
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
For the mushrooms, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and shallots, and cook until shallots are translucent. Add mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the liquid has evaporated. Spread mushrooms evenly on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and let cool to room temperature.
Meanwhile, for the pesto, combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process, using a spatula to scrape down the sides as needed.
For the flatbread, using a pastry brush, brush both sides of each pita with olive oil and grill on both sides or heat in a 400˚F oven for 3 to 4 minutes. Spread the pesto on the pita, then add the mushrooms, taking care to spread them evenly. Sprinkle with the crumbled feta cheese, sea salt and chopped thyme. Bake flatbread for an additional 6 minutes, then drizzle with olive oil just before serving.