Thanksgiving is a special time of year for families to come together, but did you know it’s also the most costly food holiday of the year? We heard from one of our viewers who said she has not been able to afford to feed her family a proper Thanksgiving dinner in over six years.
This year, Rach is helping her out! We brought in coupon expert Cindy Livesey to take Rachelle grocery shopping and show her the magic of couponing. The best part? Rachelle’s Thanksgiving dinner only cost her $3.21! “I’ve never used a coupon before and I’m ashamed of myself,” says Curtis Stone. “You can’t say that in front of me!” jokes Cindy.
Cindy’s Helpful Tips for Smart Shopping:
• Shop for produce that’s in-season.
• Search for store loss leaders to get certain items for free.
• Use manufacture’s coupons and store coupons together for additional savings.
• Using your store loyalty card through the year can earn you enough points to get free items like a turkey.
• Don’t be afraid of the clearance section of your grocery store. These are items that are discounted sometimes as much as 80% off! The reason the items are discounted isn’t always because of expiration dates – sometimes stores need to pull items because there’s a change in packaging.
• Take advantage of cash-back promotions by buying more.
• Get more of Cindy’s tips here.