- 1 dozen large organic eggs
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, pasted or grated
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish
- About 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard, yellow or Dijon
- 2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
Place the eggs in a pot, cover with water and bring to a full boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let stand for 10 minutes.
While the eggs are boiling, make your spice mixture: In a small bowl, combine paprika, smoked paprika and cayenne. Set aside.
When the eggs are cooked, drain and then crack the eggs by shaking the pot and running them under cold water until cool enough to handle.
Peel the eggs and halve them lengthwise or trim the tops and remove the yolks to present the eggs upright. You should have 12 upright eggs, or 24 halved eggs.
To the hard-boiled egg yolks, add the grated onion, grating directly over the bowl to catch the onion juice, the garlic, relish, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, hot sauce, salt, pepper and 1 teaspoon of the spice mixe. Add the mayo a few tablespoons to start – mash to very smooth, adding a bit more if too dry.
Cut a corner off a ziplock bag and fill with the deviled filling. Pipe the filling into the egg whites.
With a paring knife, make three or four vertical scores to create the illusion of a pumpkin. Dust each egg with some of the spice mixture and then garnish with the green of a scallion to look create the illusion of a pumpkin vine.