For the Green Chili Corn Waffles:
- For the Green Chili Corn Waffles:
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup frozen, fire-roasted corn, such as Whole Foods brand, defrosted
- or 2 ears fresh corn on cob (when in season), charred/grilled
- 1 4-ounce can chili peppers
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter plus some for waffle iron
For the Crispy Chicken:
- For the Crispy Chicken: 4 pieces boneless, skin-on chicken breast
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- Juice of 1 lime
For the Bacon Pan Gravy:
- For the Bacon Pan Gravy:
- A drizzle canola or olive oil
- 4 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
For the waffles, preheat waffle iron to the highest setting. Whisk together cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg. Add corn, chilies, egg, milk and melted butter, and stir. Butter waffle iron and cook waffles until crispy.
Loosen skin of chicken and rub garlic and herbs across breast. Replace skin and season with salt and pepper.
Add a turn of the pan of oil to cast-iron skillet. Place chicken skin-side down in the cold skillet then turn on heat to medium-high. Weigh chicken down with another heavy skillet or weighted skillet. Cook 12 minutes then turn chicken and cook 6 minutes more.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the gravy. Heat a medium skillet over medium high heat, brown bacon and remove to plate to drain on paper towel. Wipe pan and return to heat, melt butter add some black pepper, whisk flour into butter 1 minute then whisk in Worcestershire and stock, thicken, add bacon back to pan gravy.
Douse chicken with citrus juice and serve on Green Chili Corn Waffles with warm honey and hot sauce or Bacon Pan Gravy.