- 1 1-pound ball store-bought pizza dough
- 4 to 8 meatballs, depending on size, leftover or made from scratch
- A handful parmesan cheese plus additional for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce
- 1 egg, mixed with 1 teaspoon milk
- A pinch of oregano
- Dried oregano, for sprinkling
For the Turkey Meatballs
- 4 slices stale peasant bread, crusts trimmed and coarsely chopped in a food processor
- Milk, to moisten bread
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- A fat handful each Pecorino Romano and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 teaspoons ground sage
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or pasted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons grated onion
- 2 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large egg
Serves: 4 pockets; about 16-20 meatballs
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Roll pizza dough out on a floured surface until about 1/4-inch thick. Cut into 4 pieces approximately 8x4” in size.
Place the meatballs, some parmesan cheese, mozzarella and marinara sauce on the lower third of the pieces of dough, leaving about two inches of space on the bottom and a one inch border around the edges.
Brush egg wash around the border of each dough to create a seal. Fold the vertical flaps in towards the center and at the bottom of the dough gently fold over the empty dough over the topping and continue to carefully roll like a burrito.
Lay the pockets seam-side down on a nonstick baking sheet lined with parchment. Brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and oregano.
Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!
Makes 4 pockets
For the Turkey Meatballs:
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
In a small bowl, soak bread in milk. Squeeze out excess milk and add to meat in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix with your hand to combine. Roll 2 1/2-inch balls and arrange on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake to partially cook and lightly brown, 15 minutes.
About 16-20 meatballs