- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut each in half cross the breast to yield 4 pieces total
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 pound pancetta, diced
- 3/4 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and chopped or 1 teaspoon dried chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white or red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes, hand-crushed
- 3/4 pound/12 ounces haricots verts or green beans, trimmed
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley and tarragon, to serve
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, to serve
- Crusty bread, for mopping
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large skillet with a lid, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 turn of the pan over medium-high heat. When oil ripples, add chicken and brown about 2 minutes on each side; remove and reserve.
Add remaining olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, and pancetta, and stir 2 minutes. Remove pancetta to a plate and brown mushrooms in drippings, 7-8 minutes; season with salt, pepper and thyme. Add onions, garlic and chilies, and stir 4-5 minutes more. Add tomato paste, stir until fragrant, then add wine, stock, tomatoes and reserved pancetta, and bring to a bubble.
Reduce 15 minutes then add beans and arrange reserved chicken into the sauce among the beans. Cover and cook 5 minutes then remove lid and serve from the pot topped with parsley, tarragon and cheese, with bread alongside.