Italian Fat Tuesday Lasagna
Rachael's Orecchiette With Bacon + More Q & Ray + J Questions An…
This Woman Lost Her House To a Fire On The Same Day Rachael Did …
How To Make Roasted Cauliflower Orecchiette | Atkins Diet Recipe…
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
- For the Meatballs:
- 2 slices good quality white or peasant bread, crust trimmed a bit
- Milk, to soak
- 1 pound ground chuck
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pasted or grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- For the Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 cups passata or tomato pure
- 2 28-ounce cans San Marzano tomatoes
- A few leaves basil, torn
- For the Lasagna: Sea salt, to taste
- 2 cups fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- A few grates nutmeg
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, loosely packed, divided
- 1/3 pound, 2 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick slices, prosciutto cotto, finely diced
- 1 pound Fior di Latte/fresh mozzarella, diced or grated (such as Buon Italia)
Preheat oven to 400F.
For the meatballs, soak bread in milk to soften. Squeeze out all excess moisture and crumble between your fingers as you add to mixing bowl containing the meat. Season with salt and pepper, and add parsley, garlic, egg and a fat drizzle of EVOO. Use a small scoop or wet hands with warm water and roll golf ball-sized meatballs. Arrange on a parchment-lined or nonstick baking sheet and roast to light brown and almost cooked through 15-18 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the sauce: Heat olive oil, 2 turns of the pan, over medium heat. Melt butter into oil and stir in garlic and onions, thyme, salt and pepper, and partially cover. Let sweat 5 minutes, stirring frequently, to soften. Add stock and stir in pure and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with potato masher. Stir in torn basil; simmer 45 minutes adding the meatballs after 15 minutes.
Mix together the ricotta with eggs, nutmeg and half of the Parm cheese. Finely chop the ham.
Reduce oven temp to 375F.
Build lasagna in 9x13 pan: first some sauce then 3 ribbons of lasagna noodles, half the ricotta, 1/3 of the mozzarella, half the ham, another layer of pasta, a layer of half the meatballs and some of the sauce, then sprinkle with some Parm. Repeat the layers again and top with last of the red sauce and the remaining mozzarella and Parm cheese.
Bake lasagna covered with foil on baking sheet for 45-50 minutes. Remove foil and bake to brown, 10-15 minutes more. Let stand at room temp 15-20 minutes before cutting.