- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or half-n-half
- 2 round tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- Salt and pepper
- 6 small to medium apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cloudy apple cider
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 round tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 3 large potatoes (2 to 2 1/4 pounds), peeled
- 2 parsnips, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium onion, grated, about 1/2 to 2/3 cup grated onion and juice
- 1 large organic egg, lightly beaten
- 3 to 4 tablespoons flour or matzo meal
- Vegetable or olive oil, for shallow frying
Combine ingredients for horseradish sauce in small bowl and chill.
Combine ingredients for applesauce in a pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and cook until apples break down into a thick sauce, 20-25 minutes. Transfer to serving dish.
Grate potatoes and salt them, place in a strainer and drain 20-30 minutes. Press out all the excess liquid and add to a mixing bowl. Combine with parsnips, onion, egg, flour or matzo meal and pepper.
Heat a quarter inch of oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add potato mixture in 3- to 4-inch mounds, gently press down and cook 3-4 minutes on each side to deeply golden. Keep warm on a rack set over a baking sheet in warm 275F oven.
Serve potato pancakes with sauces alongside.