- 1 medium poblano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 Hatch chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 serrano chile, roasted, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pound ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- 4 hamburger buns, split and lightly toasted
- Queso Sauce
- Pickled Red Onion
- 12 blue corn or yellow corn tortillas chips, coarsely crushed
To make the relish, combine the poblano, Hatches, Serrano, vinegar, honey, olive oil and cilantro in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving. The relish can be made 1 day ahead in advance and refrigerated; bring to room temperature before serving.
To cook the burgers, heat a griddle or a large saute pan over high heat. Add the canola oil and heat until it begins to shimmer.
Divide the meat into 4 equal portions. Form each portion loosely into a 3/4-inch thick burger and then make a deep depression in the center with your thumb. Season both sides of each burger with salt and pepper. Cook the burgers until golden brown on both sides and cooked to medium, about 8 minutes.
Place the burgers on the buns and top each with a few tablespoons of the Queso Sauce, the Green Chile Relish, Pickled Red Onions and chips. Cover with the bun tops.