- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 1 pound whole grain fusilli or macaroni
- Pickled jalapeo peppers
- Shredded cheddar cheese, regular or low fat
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream, regular or reduced fat
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
Place a large pot of salted water over high heat to bring up to a boil for the fusilli.
Place a large pot over medium-high heat and add two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the ground beef and stir while breaking it up until browned, about 8-10 minutes. Add the onion, garlic, bell peppers and chili powder and season with salt and pepper. Cook the veggies, stirring frequently, until tender, 3-4 minutes. Add the chicken stock and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Add the crushed tomatoes, ketchup and mustard and bring up to a bubble. Simmer the chili for 8-10 minutes to let the flavors come together and thicken it slightly.
While the chili is simmering, toss the pasta into the boiling salted water and cook until al dente, according to the package directions. Once cooked, drain the pasta and place a portion into a bowl. Add a ladleful of chili on top and sprinkle with ingredients from the fixins bar.