Rachael puts a twist on pigs in a blanket with her quesadilla-wrapped hot dogs and beans. (A.k.a. pigs in ponchos!)
- 8 good quality hot dogs
- 1 can vegetarian (lard-free) spicy refried beans
- 1 large poblano pepper
- 16 softened 8-inch flour tortillas
- Salsa verde, homemade or store bought, about 1 1/2 cups
- Yellow mustard, jalapeo mustard or honey mustard
- 2 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, about 3/4 pound
- All-natural cooking spray
Heat a griddle or grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare outdoor grill.
Parboil hot dogs a few minutes in boiling water to heat through. Heat beans with a little water to thin in a small pan over medium heat or covered in microwave on high for 3 minutes
Meanwhile, char pepper evenly over an open flame on stovetop, under a hot broiler or over grill coals. Cool pepper in a bowl covered with plastic wrap, then peel, seed and slice.
To make the quesadillas, top 4 tortillas with a thin layer of salsa, a swirl of mustard, a few slices of pepper, lots of cheese and top with remaining 4 tortillas. Spread the top tortilla with some beans and set a dog at one end. Wrap and roll the quesadilla around dog; repeat with remaining ingredients. Spray with cooking spray and grill a few minutes to brown and crisp tortillas evenly on all sides, and melt the cheese.