- For the Chimichurri:
- About 1/2 cup EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- About 1/3 cup red wine or sherry vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime or 1/2 lemon
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 small red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 Fresno or other red chili pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup cilantro, optional
- 2 to 3 small sprigs oregano
- About 3 tablespoons thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- Salt and pepper
- For the Mixed Grill: 2 pounds flank steak or flat iron steaks
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 pound Merguez or other spicy sausages
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, butterflied
- About 1 teaspoon each paprika, cumin, coriander
- Fresh lemon and/or lime juice
- For the Oven-Roasted Tomatoes: 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- For serving: Warm crusty bread
Preheat oven to 400F.
Place chimichurri ingredients in a food processor and pulse to form a thick sauce.
Heat indoor griddle or grill pan to medium-high heat or heat outdoor grill. Bring steak to room temp and pat dry. Dress with oil, salt and pepper.
Parboil sausages in 2 inches of boiling water to heat through. Drain, pat dry and dress with EVOO.
Dress the shrimp with EVOO, salt and pepper.
Combine paprika, cumin and coriander, and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the steak and over the shrimp.
Grill steak 5 minutes on each side for a pink center. Grill sausages to crisp casings, 5 minutes. Grill shrimp 3-5 minutes, turning frequently until pinkish, opaque and firm. Douse everything with lemon or lime juice. Thinly slice meat on an angle against the grain (as best you can with flat irons).
Once the steak is on the grill, place the tomatoes on a cookie sheet and grate the garlic over them. Drizzle tomatoes with some EVOO and season with some salt and pepper. Transfer cookie sheet to the oven and roast tomatoes for 8-10 minutes, until the tomatoes start to burst. Remove from the oven, discard the garlic cloves and transfer roasted tomatoes to a serving platter.
Arrange mixed grill on the platter with the tomatoes and serve with bread, arugula or greens and chimichurri alongside.