- 6 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 4 large starchy potatoes, peeled and sliced
- EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 2 thick-cut pieces slab bacon from butcher counter, about 1/8 inch thick, cut into fine dice
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery and leafy tops, very finely chopped
- 1 sprig marjoram, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- 1 1/2 inches ginger root, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 quart chicken stock
- A handful of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Cover parsnips and potatoes with water, bring to boil, salt water and cook to very tender. Drain and mash well.
Meanwhile, heat a soup pot over medium heat with a drizzle of EVOO. Add bacon and brown; add onions, celery, marjoram, bay, ginger, a little pepper, vinegar, brown sugar and cook until very soft.
Add mashed parsnips and potatoes to soup pot and stir to combine with stock; add water to thin if soup is too thick. Adjust salt and pepper, to taste, and stir in parsley. For a smooth soup, pure with a hand blender then garnish with parsley.