- 1 pound broccolini or broccoli trimmed into 3 inch long, thin florets
- 1 pound bucatini pasta
- 1 cup pecorino Romano cheese, freshly shaved or grated
- 3 tablespoons EVOO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 small Italian red chili or Fresno chili pepper, thinly sliced or substitute 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced or grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for pasta. When it comes to a full boil, salt the water and add broccolini or broccoli and par-boil about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted kitchen utensil and cool in an ice water bath, then drain. Add pasta and cook to al dente.
Heads up: you will need a couple of ladles starchy cooking water just before draining pasta.
Place cheese in the bottom of a shallow serving bowl.
Meanwhile, heat EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, over medium heat and add chili pepper and garlic, saut a couple of minutes. Then add thyme and stir, then add broccolini or broccoli and heat through. Add pasta and cheese and toss with a little starchy water to combine and coat pasta.
Garnish with additional grated cheese.